The Christmas celebration is over, and it’s time to take the tree down. Whether you’re a person who takes your tree down the minute Christmas day is over, or you wait until after New Year’s, there’s always the dreaded question of what to do with it. If it’s a fake that you put up year after year, your problems are solved — back to the attic or garage it goes. It’s those of us who enjoy the view and aroma of a live tree who may have difficulty disposing of them later.
Let’s look at some different ways to make this year’s tree disposal easier:
- Live Potted Tree. If you have the available room, purchase a live, potted tree. When the season is over, make sure you remove all of your decorations and move the tree outside. Keep it wrapped in a blanket or burlap for 3-4 days so it can become acclimated to the temperature difference. Once the season is right for planting, give the tree a new home somewhere in your yard.
- Yard Waste Program. Call to set up local yard waste pickup if this isn’t already available. Cover your tree with a large garbage bag or sheet before removing it from inside the house and carrying it to the curb. This will cut down on any mess from needles and sap.
- Recycle Tree. Some local recycling centers have drop-off locations. They chip the trees and use them as mulch in soil erosion programs or as bedding for community parks and playgrounds.
- Bird House. Use your tree as a sanctuary for birds. Stand it up in your back yard with strings of popcorn, orange slices and raisins and tuck peanut butter-filled pinecones rolled in bird seed between the branches.
- Compost. If you have a compost pile, trim the branches from your tree and layer them in. They will allow airflow to the bottom while providing heat and air to the upper layers. Continue layering with kitchen scraps as normal.
- Fish Food and Habitat. If you have a pond on your property, or maybe know someone with a pond, place it in there. It will provide habitat for the fish and the natural decomposition will attract algae they can eat.
Now that you have a few ideas on how to dispose of that Christmas tree, have you ever considered making your own cough syrup from fresh pine needles? Learn how here.
Copyright 2020, TheSurvivalGuide.com